Thursday, December 16, 2010

Days Go By

Fuck Student Loans
a.k.a., Another Day, Another Dollar

I've reached a few milestones in the past 8 days.  The most important one (at least in terms of (K)no(w) Subject) is that I paid my first student loan payment of $265.35 !

I initially was pretty excited about this.  In fact, I came to write an entry in my blog about how I could decrease the amount I'm trying to raise through my ChipIn page .  Right now, my goal is $23,125.  However, I strolled over to my loan payment account information, only to find this waiting for me:


Zoomed in:




WTF!?!?!?!  $23,381.64?!?!?!  I distinctly remember, and have complete proof on this page, a balance of $23,125.00!!   I completely underestimated the fact that my principal balance goes up every month because it's accumulating interest.  >: /  Sooo turns out I'm not decreasing my goal, and instead I'm begging you to donate more money.  Although, I'm super stoked that I've raised $20, don't get me wrong.  But once again, you can do that here or on the sidebar to the right.  Thankssss!





Another Not-That-Cool Milestone
a.k.a., Each Day is a New Day

I recently had an audition for Chicago.  You might recall the movie which won the Oscar for best picture and starred Renee Zellweger, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Richard Gere, Queen Latifah, John C. Reilly... etc.  If you haven't seen it, I feel bad for you because it's one of my favorite movies and musicals in general.



 I was so effing excited to go to this callback.  I know the music by heart, and I spent a semester in college learning the dance to "All That Jazz" - I was fully prepared and pumped.  And essentially, I completely blew it.

 It's a milestone because I don't think I've ever felt so bad about a callback.  When they called my name in the first round to get sent home, I left the building and cried all the way to my car.  I cried on the hour-long drive home.  I cried myself to sleep that night.

But you know what?  I woke up and decided I was over it.  That's how being an actor works, I said to myself.  You have your good days, and you have your bad days.  I'd auditioned for this director before and kicked some serious ass.  Actually, I didn't even have to go to the actual audition for Chicago, because I got an email from him saying the slots were full.  But he invited me to skip the audition and come to the callback.  How sweet is that?!  Nothing like that has ever happened to me before.  And while I know that he did the same for a bunch of other people, he must have remembered me from my last audition for him and saw something that interested him.  And I think... well, I hope... that he understands as well as any that we all have our bad days.  Especially when we're just getting back in the saddle after months of auditioning like I was... am.  The lesson learned is that each day is new.  The way you audition once doesn't have to affect the way you audition in the future, and if anything, hopefully you learned something about yourself.  So that's that.


Getting Flowers
a.k.a., Let's Make it a Date

And now the best for last.  Get ready for it, you might be thoroughly shocked:


I went on my first date!


I know.  A huge milestone for girls in their teens and I'm 23.

I guess I've been on dates before.  Sort of.  But most of them haven't really been under the pretense of being a "DATE" date.  I never count things that don't go entirely the way they're supposed to.  One time in high school I went out with this guy who took me up to the roof of Old Chicago to look at the stars, which was pretty romantic.  But I was so awkward and weird that when he drove me home, he locked me in his car and wouldn't let me get out until I told him face-to-face that I either did or did not want to be his girlfriend.  I eventually yielded, we were "official" for about a month, and then he broke up with me and to this day tells people that I ruined his life.

I suppose I had prom dates.  I went to prom all four years of high school.  Two of my dates were gay, one was a girl, and the other was a "friend" of a friend who was given my phone number and told me a story about how his other date got in a car accident and he didn't have anyone to go with.  He ended up going home with my friend.  And he was lying about the car accident.

I had a couple of boyfriends in high school and college, but we never really did anything.  Mostly because the relationships were pretty short-lived.  One of the guys I dated worked at the movie theater with me, so we'd go to a lot of movies together.  Most people consider going to the movies a date.  But I don't, not in this case, because we both got in for free and most of the time we didn't really watch the movies anyway if you know what I mean.

I've been asked out a few times, but I always manage to say no.  I think it's a combination of the fact that I'm far too picky with my choice in men, plus I make things really awkward when it comes to dating.

Okay enough of my dating history.  The point is, I'm trying this new thing where I push myself to do things that make me sort of uncomfortable, and what better way than to finally go on a real date!  And not only a real date... a BLIND date!  (Gasp!)

I got set up with this guy by another guy at work.  We did a small amount of texting beforehand (cordial stuff, not b.s. like "omg lol wut do u want in a gurl?" crapola), and he came down from Denver to take me and my coworker and his fiancee out (I hope it still counts if it's a double date).  I think the best part of the entire thing is that he showed up with flowers.  If I have gone on some sort of date that I don't remember, I DEFINITELY have never gotten flowers, and they were beautiful and wonderful and are still making my room smell good.  We went to dinner, then got a drink nearby, then he took me home.

All in all, it was quite lovely and not awkward at all, and I'm so proud of myself.  Plus I like this guy.  Heck, I might even take a walk on the wild side and go out with him again.

Finally, I promise this is it, I'm going to link to my friend's blog that he just started.  I figure it's appropriate, because his first post is about the first date.  You might want to grab a cola or something though, because dare I say it, he might be more longwinded than I am.  Oh yeah!  I just remembered, he was my date for New Year's last year.  We got drunk and made out at midnight.  I bet he still dreams about it.

You can visit his blog at http://ideathresher.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment