Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Wonderful Whitney, in Oz

I have a confession.

I can't BE-LIEVE I haven't mentioned my affinity for the seminal classic, The Wizard of Oz.

But seriously.  Ever since I can remember, there has been a reference to The Wizard of Oz in some way every, single day of my life.  Really.


In fact, my original idea for a blog was going to be called "Sex in the Emerald City" with the clever subtitle, "The Wonderful Whitney, in Oz."  It was gonna be really great, about me moving to New York City, a fresh-faced actor hoping to make it on Broadway or something, and it was going to work out perfectly because I was going to have three promiscuous roommates to write about, in addition to having three best gay friends there with me, (my scarecrow, tin man, and lion, of course), and honestly the only reason I'm bummed I didn't move there is because of this idea.

But alas, the references still come, and I'm glad I'm letting you know about this now, because now I have an excuse to post the more interesting references I come across.

Why Oz?  You could say that I just identify with it.  Sure, I'm a girl, being thrust into a world that I don't understand, and forced to follow a path that will hopefully, eventually, lead to Home with a capital H - because Home, after all, is a quintessential concept and not necessarily a tangible place.  But it's more than that, for some reason.  I love the Magical, the Whimsical, the Dream itself - and I fully believe that, amongst all the black and white and even grey that is the literal, physical life we lead... there truly is a place over the rainbow that's alive in color.

1 comment:

  1. i so didnt believe you until that thing happened in the hotel in utah...

    ReplyDelete